Leng Sun is a Senior Counsel of the Supreme Court of Singapore. He is the Deputy Chairman of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre and a member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR. He is the former Global Head of Arbitration of Baker McKenzie and the Immediate Past President of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SIArb).
Leng Sun is qualified in Malaysia, Singapore and England. He has a broad commercial practice that covers technical disputes, maritime law, international trade, insurance and company law. Leng Sun has acted as counsel or sat as arbitrator in arbitrations seated in Singapore, Hong Kong SAR, China, Korea, Malaysia, London and USA under ad hoc and institutional rules such as ICC, SIAC, SCMA, LMAA, ICDR, CIETAC and KCAB rules. He is a Chartered Arbitrator and a Chairperson of the arbitration panel jointly appointed by the EU and Korea under the protocol on cultural cooperation of the Korea-EU FTA. He had also served as a legal officer of the United Nations Compensation Commission in Geneva.
Leng Sun was a lecturer at the National University of Singapore Law School from 1990 to 1993, teaching Shipping Law, International Business Transactions and Contract Law. He started the Arbitration course in the Singapore Management University Law School and taught as an adjunct in 2009 and 2010.
Leng Sun is the author of the book, Singapore Law on Arbitral Awards and Co-Editor of Conflict of Laws in Arbitration.
Leng Sun is the Singapore country contributor to Tetley’s Marine Cargo Claims (4th Ed). He wrote the chapter, “Common Types of Shipping Arbitration” in the book, The Role of Arbitration in Shipping Law, published by Oxford University Press (Goldby and Mistellis eds, 2016). He also wrote the Singapore chapter for the book, The Developing World of Arbitration, published by Hart Publishing (Reyes and Gu eds, 2018).
- What Others Say
a) Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018
b) Who’s Who Legal – Litigation 2017
c) Who’s Who Legal – Arbitration 2017
d) Chambers Asia Pacific 2017
“good at understanding the entirety of the issues that the client wants to solve,” while another simply declares: “I can recommend him strongly. He’s one of the best arbitrators and practitioners in arbitration.”
e) Chambers Global: 2016
Chan Leng Sun SC is [Baker McKenzie]’’s global head of arbitration, described by sources as “highly responsive,” “very intelligent, experienced and efficient” and “technically very sound.” His areas of particular expertise include shipping, international trade and insurance, and he serves on the panels of several leading regional arbitration centres.
f) Who’s Who Legal Arbitration: 2016
Leng Sun Chan SC is Baker & McKenzie’s global head of international arbitration and is noted for his “exceptional skills” in this arena. His arbitration practice spans a range of industries including international trade and telecommunications.
- Sample Cases as Counsel
- Lead counsel for an investor claiming over USD180 million in damages against numerous companies for unlawful conspiracy to cause harm by way of a multi-jurisdictional fraud and misappropriation. Obtained domestic and worldwide Marvel injunctions for USD180 in JTrust Asia Pte Ltd v Group Lease Holdings Pte Ltd & Ors  SGCA 27.
- Lead counsel for sellers of a Japanese company against Korean buyers in an ICC arbitration over a post-acquisition dispute.
- Lead counsel in an arbitration in China between a luxury car manufacturer and a distributor.
- Counsel advising on Singapore arbitration and procedural law in an ongoing investor-State dispute seated in Singapore.
- Lead counsel for an international software payment solutions provider in an arbitration against an electronic payments service provider for wrongful termination of a multi-million dollar project to migrate their existing payments platform.
- Successfully set aside an injunction against a client’s calls on Refund Guarantees issued in connection with a rig construction, clearing the way for payment of close to EUR 100M for the client. Master Marine SA v Labroy Offshore Ltd [ 2012]  2 SLR 125. Lead counsel in the related arbitration.
- Represented an employer in a dispute valued at close to EUR300mn between contractor and employer for the supply of technology and equipment for a manufacturing plant.
- Represented several companies and obtained a Mareva injunction against a director for breach of fiduciary duties and for control of company assets estimated at several hundred million USD.
- Represented parties in a variety of maritime and shipbuilding disputes, in litigation and arbitration.
1989-1990 Associate, Raja, Darryl & Loh, Kuala Lumpur
1990-1993 Lecturer, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
1994-2011 Associate/Partner, Ang & Partners, Singapore
2002-2003 Legal Officer, United Nations Compensation Commission, Geneva (On sabbatical from Ang & Partners)
2011-2018 Principal, Wong & Leow LLC; Global Head of Arbitration, Baker McKenzie
Since August 2018 Essex Court Chambers Duxton (Singapore Group Practice)
- Master of Laws, University of Cambridge 1990
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), University of Malaya 1988.
- Kuok Foundation Scholar
- Pegasus Cambridge Scholar
- Honorary Shell Scholar